viernes, 13 de junio de 2014

Proceso de Selección/ Selection Process



English
Hello everybody! My name is Gerardo Maravilla, I am salvadoran, and I write this blog for every person who is interested in a UWCer’s life before the arrival to the College (including nervousness, selection process, patience, happiness or sadness that you might have in this process) until the arrival to the College.
How did I know UWC? A friend told me about UWC and invited me to go to one of the UWC information meetings and I agreed. I assisted to the meeting and when it finished I immediately asked for more information about everything related to UWC, by the end of the meeting I had even gotten a few phone numbers of a UWCer graduated from Wales a few years later. I got home and started to search more about UWC on internet, I searched for the movement, the organization, and little by little, I realized that it was not just a movement but a lifestyle! And I thought that I was the only one who thought “I fell in love with UWC at the moment I read about all of it” but then I knew that I was not the only one who thought like that, because I have heard that many of my co-years say the same thing! After a few weeks I met the Salvadoran UWCer who assisted to Atlantic College and she started to share some of her adventures, her experiences, her life right there, her studies, her friends, among other things. To be honest, I was fascinated with the whole idea, I have always dreamt of traveling, living in other country, winning a scholarship, representing my country, taking a plane and through UWC I will achieve all of my dreams, but ALL of them!! But of course it was not easy.. I had to fight a lot for them but sincerely at the end I could just call it a blessing that God could have given to me. I will tell you a little about this selection process I had (at least what I remember):
Selection Process 2014-2016
The day arrived after a long waiting so the process could have started. I had the first essay. I will not get into specific detail because if I do that this will be longer than it is now. Everything started October 23rd from 2013 with the first essay and the “famous” dropbox that we all had to load our document into the folder. I promise I spend hours trying and trying again until I finally reached it, now I could laugh but in that moment it was pretty frustrating because I could not get the document into the shared folder. I felt chill when I saw my name in the post of the names of the people who made it correctly. One month later, after several essays passed, was time for the informative session in which is necessary that your parents assist to it. I assisted really excited and when I heard of more alumni’s adventures and stories I felt more and more excited, I was falling more and more in love with UWC. Some people say that it is love at first sight and I concur with that, UWC makes you fall in love with it at first sight! But I will return to the story… after the informative session, one week later, we had an exam, a general knowledge exam. After the exam we continued with the essays until we reached December in which we needed to do a special project called “my meter square” with the purpose of improving your neighborhood and be an example for society so they can learn from you and then improve the quality of life where we live. Little by little that community will grow up until they convert those “meters square” onto “kilometers square” until we reach in every part of El Salvador.
After everything I had mentioned before they selected 16 people in order to participate in the UWC Day that is one of the phases in the selection process in which you hang out with others. You meet people who share the same ideas like you and you feel really connected because you realize that you are not the only person who thinks different than other but that you have a lot of people that might support you with achieving your ideas and to share your thoughts without any chagrin, without thinking that you will be criticize because you want to change the world for better! You feel free! That feeling is awesome, I could tell you that! You would prefer that the day does not end at the end of the day because it is too cool to spend time with people who think like you.  
After that day everything turned into days and days of waiting and our patience was put into practice. I will share you a little about UWC El Salvador’s testimony in this generation. At the beginning we had 3 offers from different colleges… and we wait and wait and wait more because the committee did not want to close the process because they still had hope that possibly they could get more offers from other colleges. After the UWC Day we passed to the “final phase” in which the committee made you and your parents a final interview, but before the final interviews, like I said before, we waited so many days! (At the end it was worth it). Finally… the so expected day arrived, we finally could know the people who had passed to the final interviews and I got and e-mail that said that I was one of the “chosen ones” for the final interviews. Every time I saw a new notification on my inbox my heart started to beat faster and faster because I knew it was from the National Committee and I was so excited! I read it and happily confirmed my assistance without thinking of it twice. The interview day arrived and we were all interviewed personally. Here it is when it started to complicate more… that feeling of “did I make it or not?” at this point I just knew that there was this new opportunity to Dilijan but later I found out that there were two, not just one. I was really excited and happy, I did not know what to expect. A few days passed when I received an e-mail…(this was when the situation got worse) “Dear Gerardo… we have chosen the ones who will represent UWC El Salvador 2014-2016 unfortunately you are not one of them…” I immediately got depressed… just kidding, not depression but I was really sad… I could not believe it, I put so much of my effort, all my time and I gain nothing. (that’s what I thought but I did learn a lot of things) I was really but really sad when I heard of the news and I had to accept it with time. It would not be easy if you receive a “no” as an answer, I agree with that, and you can become sad, you can do that but if you have a dream, do not let anyone take it off you, fight for it until you reach it. Later on, after being very sad I accepted the reality of my sadness like part of my life and I decided to move forward, without ignoring the UWC values because even thought I could not assist a UWC College I adopted the lifestyle as part of my life because I loved it so much that I could not stop living like that because I was not going to study in a UWC College. The fact of changing the world for better in order to create a sustainable future was always in my mind. It reminds me the nike logo which says “make the difference” and I love making the difference for good wherever I am.
I think a month passed when I received this e-mail that said “second round” and I opened and read everything. With no doubts I would not have missed this chance and I had nothing to lose. I filled in everything all the papers that they gave me as soon as possible, this happened on March 28th from 2014. Three days later, I was writing an essay from the papers when I got a call from the committee, they wanted to interview me. I was really nervous and excited at the same time, I accepted and then they told me where and when. In my mind I was like… “the most probably thing is that they want to see if you are really interesting in this second round”. The day arrived and they interviewed me… at the end of it, they gave me this paper with some cut letters in it. I was really surprised with it because I had no clue what was it. They gave me instructions that I needed to open the paper and form a phrase with the letters. I was like… “mm what is this? Is it a word like believe or something like that?” I formed the Word and it said… “Robert Bosch” I was…. Astonished! I could not understand what was going on, I perfectly knew that the name was from  the UWC in Germany but I could not get why I formed that name. When I finished they told me if I recognized that name, I, honestly, could not even talk because I was really surprised! Then they told me, congratulations! We have chosen you for UWC Robert Bosch. I was like… what!!!?? I could not believe it, until now I do not understand how is it that I did not cry in that moment!  I felt so surprised and happy that I could not believe it. That day has changed my life. I would never forget April 1st 2014.
Well, but this is my story of my selection process, I just can remember the words from the Committee when they said “it is a long and tough process… there are some people that even leave it because they cannot handle it” but trust me it is totally worth it, this process is not difficult just because it needs to be difficult! No! this process has its purpose. I invite you to apply to the selection process when you can. Believe me that you will love the movement and you will learn a lot just in the process, I learnt a lot. This is my UWC testimony, how I lived this tough process. There is just left to say that fight for your dreams, never give up and never lose hope. Some people might say this was luck… I prefer to call it a miracle.

 

Español
Hola a todos! Me llamo Gerardo Maravilla, soy salvadoreño, y escribo este blog para todas las personas que están interesadas en conocer como es la vida de un UWC'er desde antes de llegar al Colegio (los nervios, el proceso de selección, la espera, la paciencia, la alegría y tristeza que pueden llegar a tener en el proceso) hasta al momento en llegar al Colegio!

¿Cómo conocí UWC? Un amigo me contó acerca de UWC y me dijo que fuera a la reunión informativa acerca de UWC y acepté. Fui a la reunión y al terminar dicha reunión inmediatamente fui a preguntar por más información acerca de todo, en fin que conseguí un par de números para conseguir una reunión con una UWC'er que asistió a Galés un par de años atras. Llegué a mi casa y comencé a buscar en internet del movimiento y la organización, poco a poco, me fui dando cuenta que no era solo un movimiento pero si no que es un estilo de vida! Y pensaba que era el unico que dije: me enamoré de UWC al momento que leí acerca de todo esto pero en realidad me doy cuenta que no, ya que muchas personas que serán mis futuros compañeros dicen lo mismo pero tocaré ese punto más adelante. Después de unas semanas me reuní con una salvadoreña UWC'er que asistió a UWC Galés un par de años atras y me compartió acerca de sus experiencias, su vida allá, los estudios, entre otras cosas. Sinceramente quedé fascinado con toda la idea... ya que siempre había sido mi sueño poder viajar, vivir en otro país, ganarme una beca, representar a mi país, subirme a un avión y por medio de UWC cumpliré todos, pero todos MIS SUEÑOS!!! Pero por supuesto que no fue fácil... Tuve que luchar mucho por ello pero sinceramente al final creo que solo fue una bendición que Dios me pudo haber dado. Les contaré un poco del proceso de selección que yo enfrenté:
Proceso de Selección 2014-2016


Después de una larga espera para que el proceso de selección comenzará al fin el día llegó con el primer ensayo. No entraré en detalles con algunos temas específicos porque si entro en detalles esto sería más largo de lo que ya es. Todo comienza el 23 de Octubre del 2013 con el primer ensayo y con el “famoso” dropbox que teníamos todos que meter el archivo dentro de la carpeta. Prometo que pase horas intentándolo de una u otra manera hasta que al fin lo conseguí, ahora podría reírme pero en ese momento me sentía un poco frustrado por no conseguir que el archivo quedará dentro de la carpeta compartida. Hasta que publicaron quienes lo habían conseguido, fue que me sentí tranquilo que mi nombre estaba ahí. Un mes después, ya habían pasado un par de temas más, se llegó el día de la reunión informativa dónde es indispensable que vayan tus padres. Yo muy emocionado asistí y comentaban más alumnos de sus experiencias y cada vez me enamoraba mas y mas de UWC. Unos dicen que es amor a primera vista y yo lo confirmo, UWC te enamora a primera vista! Pero siguiendo con la historia… Después de la sesión informativa, una semana después, tuvimos un examen de conocimientos generales. Después seguimos con los temas, los ensayos mejor dicho, hasta que llego Diciembre en el cuál teníamos que hacer un proyecto “mi metro cuadrado” con el fin de mejorar el lugar en donde habitas y así servir de ejemplo a la sociedad para que puedan copiar tu actitud y así mejorar nuestra comunidad en la que vivimos y poco a poco esa comunidad se va creciendo hasta poder llegar a convertir esos “metros cuadrados” en “kilómetros cuadrados” hasta llegar a cubrir todo El Salvador.
Después de todo lo que acabo de mencionar seleccionaron a 16 personas para participar en el día del convivio de UWC que es una fase en la cual convives con las demás personas, conoces las personas que comparten tu misma idea y te sentís tan conectado porque te das cuenta que no sos la única persona que piensa diferente a los demás sino que tenes muchas personas que pueden apoyarte a cumplir tus ideas y poder llegar a compartir tus pensamientos sin pena alguna, sin que te critiquen por pensar de cambiar el mundo para bien! Te sentís liberado! Ese sentimiento es excelente, te lo puedo decir! Al final de ese día vas a querer que no acabe porque es demasiado genial pasar con personas que piensan igual que tú.
Después de ese día es dónde se convirtió en días de esperas y dónde nuestra paciencia se puso a prueba. Les compartiré un poco acerca del testimonio de UWC El Salvador en esta generación. Al principio solo teníamos oferta para 3 colegios… Y esperamos y esperamos y esperamos aún más porque no querían cerrar todo el proceso ya que todavía tenían la esperanza de que posiblemente pudieran dar más ofertas a otros colegios. Después del día del convivio pasábamos todos a la “etapa decisiva” dónde son las entrevistas finales a ti y a tus padres, pero antes de las entrevistas finales, como lo repito, esperamos muchos días! (que al final valió totalmente la pena) Por fin… llegó el tan esperado día de saber quiénes pasaban a las entrevistas finales y recibí un correo que decía que había clasificado para las entrevistas finales y cada vez que miraba la notificación que tenía un nuevo correo mi corazón palpitaba demasiado rápido porque sabía que era de parte del comité nacional de UWC El Salvador y me entusiasmé demasiado y lo vi y todo feliz confirme mi asistencia sin dudarlo dos veces. Llegó el día de las entrevistas y nos entrevistaron a todos personalmente. Aquí es dónde se complica más… saber si quedaste o no quedaste… a este punto sabía que habían dado una beca más para Dilijan pero luego descubrí que eran dos, no solo una. Estaba muy entusiasmado y contento, no sabía que esperar. Pasaron un par de días cuando recibí un correo… (aquí es dónde se puso más difícil la situación) “Querido Gerardo… hemos escogido a las personas que van a representar a la generación UWC El Salvador 2014-2016 lastimosamente no eres una de ellas…” entré en depresión en ese momento…. Son bromas, no depresión pero si me puse muy mal… no lo podía creer, había puesto todo mi esfuerzo, todo mi empeño y había quedado en nada. Estaba muy pero muy triste, fue muy triste saber esa noticia y la tuve que aceptar con el tiempo. No va a ser fácil que te digan que no, lo acepto, y se vale ponerse triste, se vale sentirte mal pero igual si tenes un sueño no dejes que nadie te lo quite, lucha por el hasta que lo consigas. Después de un tiempo de estar triste había aceptado la realidad de mi tristeza como parte de mi vida y decidí seguir adelante, no dejando de lado UWC porque a pesar de que no había quedado había adoptado el estilo de vida UWC a mi vida y me encantaba tanto que no lo iba a dejar por no asistir a un colegio, el hecho de pensar en cambiar el mundo para bien para crear un desarrollo sostenible estaba siempre en mi pensamiento. Siempre recuerdo ese lema de nike que dice “haz la diferencia” y me encanta hacer la diferencia para bien en donde quiera que estuviese.
Paso quizá un mes después cuando recibí un correo con el asunto “repechaje”  y lo abrí lo leí y todo. Sin dudarlo dos veces no iba a dejar pasar esa oportunidad y no perdía nada con intentarlo. Llene todo lo que me pidieron lo más pronto que pude y eso sucedió el 28 de Marzo del 2014. Tres días después casualmente estaba llenando un ensayo del formulario cuando recibí una llamada del comité para una entrevista que querían hacerme, estaba nervioso y emocionado al mismo tiempo, y acepté me dijeron donde y cuando. En mi mente estaba como que… “de seguro quieren saber si en serio queres estar en el repechaje”. Llego el día y la hora y me hicieron la entrevista… al final me dieron un papel con letras recortadas dentro de este. Yo me quede sorprendido pensando que era eso. Me dieron indicaciones de abrirlo y formar una frase con las letras que estaban en el. Yo me quede: “mm que curioso que será… una palabra como believe?” forme la palabra y decía… “Robert Bosch” me quede… atónito! No entendía que es lo que estaba pasando, yo sabía perfectamente que ese era el nombre del Colegio de UWC que se abriría en Alemania pero no entendía el porqué había formado esa frase. Cuando termine me dijeron que si reconocía ese nombre, yo, sin mentir, no podía ni hablar bien de lo sorprendido! Solo dije que si que era el..el..cole..gio de Alemania! Cuando me dijeron.. felicidades! Te hemos seleccionado para UWC Robert Bosch. Estaba que no lo podía creer, hasta ahora no comprendo cómo no lloré de la felicidad en ese momento! Estaba  sorprendido y muy feliz que no lo podía creer. Al final no fue repechaje, fue que les ofrecieron la beca para UWC Robert Bosch de ultimo momento y gracias a Dios el comité me dió la oportunidad a mi.

Bueno pero esa es mi historia de mi proceso de selección, solo recuerdo las palabras del comité cuando me decían “es un proceso largo y muy difícil… hay gente que hasta se ha salido porque no lo aguantan” pero créanme que vale la pena, este proceso no es difícil porque tiene que ser difícil! No! Este proceso tiene su propósito. Les invito a todos los que puedan a aplicar al proceso de selección cuando puedan. Créanme que les va a encantar el movimiento y van a aprender mucho de solo estar en el proceso, yo aprendí demasiado. Este es mi testimonio de UWC, como viví todo mi proceso. Solo me queda decirles que luchen por sus sueños, nunca se den por vencido y nunca pierdan la esperanza.Yo no puedo decir que fue gracias a mi, yo lo considero un milagro que Dios hizo en mi vida.


No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario

Nota: sólo los miembros de este blog pueden publicar comentarios.